Monday, May 21, 2007

Jalama Beach


Right in the neighborhood is a natural wonder of immense beauty and drama. It is a short ride, on a two lane road, off Highway 1. The road wanders through hilly ranch country with cows and deer, then boldly goes over a rise, and, "Wham!" the view fans out into the huge expanse of the Pacific Ocean, off of Point Conception. Tucked into this bay is Jalama Beach, famous for its beach burgers, waves and a frequent blustery wind that draws windsurfers from all over. This is where I took the beach photos for our music covers. It is wild and isolated. The kind of beach walkers with dogs like to "turn it all loose". It's a place to "leave it all behind" and embrace the raw, natural beauty of the California coast, before the crowds arrived.

Jalama beach is a place where the sand and the surf make music. Not serene country folk tunes, but loud pulsing rock music without words. The language of sound is the only talking here. It is mesmerizing conversation. Every time I visit Jalama, I feel purified. When I watch our dog, Mozart, run with abandon at the far end of the beach in either direction, I am free. When I watch the wind take the tips of the waves, I am washed. When I pick up sand dollars, I am rich. When I gather small, twisted, twigs of driftwood and pile them randomly on our glass top coffee table, I am a sculptor. When I smell the sea and taste the salt on my tongue, I eat exquisite ocean air cuisine. When I place the rocks with holes and embedded shells into my garden, I bring home a mystery.

Listen to Phrygian on our space at myspace. You'll be at transported to Jalama Beach by music!

Ciao!


"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn."

Charlie Parker

No comments: